Wednesday, August 21, 2013

DOG DAYS OF SUMMER IN WEST YELLOWSTONE

My, my... today has been one of the first in many weeks that we don't have our entire three  days off planned from morning til night !

As most of you know I have been busy getting a large, almost king size quilt done.  It turned out beautiful, I am happy to say, and I have improved my quilting skills expedentially.   Still lots to learn but my confidence at this point has no bounds. 

I recently purchased new software to start creating my own patterns.  This not only challenges my quilting skills but my ability to find my way around on my 'puter !  I am so thankful to the Mohave Community College in Lk. Havasu, AZ.  for getting me started in all this 1   1/2 years ago.  My sewing machine also does embroidery, so after downloading a gazillion free patterns/designs I will be incorporating them into my quilts.  Maybe you can see the pinecones that I embroidered on the border of this quilt.  I think it adds so much to the design !
 The need for a pincushion has sent me on another flurry.  I couldn't have just any old pincushion, it had to be special, different and it had to "speak" to me !  Norm surprised me the most because he likes them sitting on shelves, etc. so....I made a bunch.  After I showed them to the girls I work with I had to make more, giving one to each of them.  Then, I posted them on FB and had another bunch to get out for orders that were sent to me  plus what was selling right here at our coach ! WHEW !'    'Chicken' orders are down a bit, now, so thought I'd make a cute little pouch-type make-up or carry bag. 
My trip to Denver revealed the
 need for a couple little bags for various essential items.  Necessity right ?  OK,  so several of the girls at work are having birthdays..... you can see where this is going ?  I gave out these little pouches/bags as gifts, posted them online and POOF ... I'm now making bags !   Never a dull moment around here !
 
Norm has been busy doing maintenance work on the Jeep & coach and of course he must continue with his passion of fly-fishing.  We have had a number of recent bear incidents, here in the Park so my concern for his safety is always at hand.  Sometimes, he gets so focused on casting to a specific fish in the river that when he finally does look up, even he is surprised by bison, moose or even a bear.  He takes every precaution and knows what he's doing but it does leave me a bit concerned when he doesn't get home til well after dark.
 
The summer in YNP has been fabulous !  Warm days and cool nights with some rain & thunder/lightening showers scattered around.  We are seeing fires for the first time all season caused by lightening strikes.  They haven't affected us, yet, but Fishing Bridge Campground, in the Park, was alerted for possible evacuation a few days ago.  Thought we'd go in tonight and see what's going on.  There are several other fires in Idaho, around Missoula and Ennis that are producing a good deal of smoke but, again, we haven't been affected.  Here's hoping that continues.
 
Our jobs, here at Grizzly, are the same as usual.  4 1/2 months is a long time to commit to and we are well past half way.  One of our couples (Hi, Diane & Mike :) ) left on Wed so starting Sept 8th I think, we lose one couple per week.  Our last day is Oct 1st.   We'll plan to leave the coach here and drive to Denver for a visit with our kids & grandson then work our way back to Bothell. 
 
Norm's wants to visit his Mom.  His sister is doing an awesome job as caregiver but I'm sure it will be nice for her to have somebody there to help for a time.  From this point on we're not sure where we'll be.
 
Retirement and our RV lifestyle offers so much flexibility for us. No real schedules, which we love...but I would like to spend some time on the Coast this winter, working our way back down to the San Diego area.  However, we don't want a repeat of last year's drive through the snow, ice & sleet !  YUK  !!!  :(
 
Ooops, Norm's up from his nap so it's time to get a movin'  !  Hello to everyone.....for our friends at the busbarn, have a happy in-service and pick-day, (soo glad we're not there !)
to Joy Inniacello..we sent our thoughts and hugs...thanks for the up-date, Patty, I did receive your e-mail.....for everyone else BIG HUGS !  :)
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment