Friday, June 14, 2013

BACK IN WEST YELLOWSTONE !

With all the fabulous fun and traveling we did over the winter we are now back in West Yellowstone, MT.  5 couples returned and 2 new ones have been trained.  Most things are as usual except the numbers of reservations on the books.  We've been here 3 weeks and this park is about 95% full.  We've had to turn so many reservations away all the way into the first part of August.  Good for business, however, tough on guests.

Spring came earlier this year and temps are in the 70's most days.  It is beautiful, now, but the warm days will bring the mosquitoes out.  Everyone is hoping the lack of standing water from snow run-off should keep those numbers down.

Spring has also brought some thunderstorms the last three days.  There is so much energy released you can feel it and the clean smell of the pine trees fill the air after a rainfall.  This is what I miss most in the desert.  It's great to have the sun shine everyday during the winter but eventually it get's way too hot and dusty and the sandstorms are not fun. 

Yesterday, we took a drive up to the Lamar Valley.  It's about 70 miles north & east of us but it is also home to many of the Park's biggest animals.  Sometimes it takes a long time just to go a few miles. The road along the Madison River was paved over an old buffalo trail......they continue to use it but cause some very l.o.n.g  traffic jams.  It frustrates many but it is just part of the experience.

 Eagles dot the river's edge waiting for a succulent trout to show itself.  This is one of a family that we have watched the last three years.  Next year we are hoping for a new addition.

 Fields and meadows are covered in many types of wildflowers.  I wish I could send you the sweet fragrances of a warm Spring day. 

Norm has been out fishing almost every day we don't work.  The "hatch" doesn't occur until about 6:30 pm so we have time to shop the cute little stores here in town, go to breakfast with friends or just lounge around the house.   That's funny....Norm does not lounge.....he has to be doing something all the time !   I get my quilting, etc. done while he's fishing and.. occasionally, I actually do ..lounge !  :)

When we first arrived I wanted to give each one of the ladies, that work here a  "chicken" pincushion.  Well, I have created a monster ! 
I make extra's cause Norm thinks they're fun (& they make great paperweights ! ) and they make great gifts to have on hand.  But, they keep flying the coop !  I have taken orders and shipped them and people here at the park want them !  OMG...

 I have started a quilt for our bedroom that is my first queen sized.  I took a part of it in to show the girls in the office and one of the new gals wants to buy it !  I can't decide if I want to sell it or not.  Norm says...go ahead.. you can always make another one !  Easier said than done.  I'll let you know what I decide.  

Tomorrow is another work day.   Nothing will get done here at home til our next day off, although I am going to try to make a class on needle-turned applique at a local yarn/fabric/misc. store here in town on Monday evening.  So very much to do !   .......or maybe I'll stay home and ..lounge !  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment