Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Christmastime 2013 !

     Christmas is the only time of the year that I have any trouble not having a stick framed house.  We have our favorite decorations up, little twinkling lights along the dashboard and many little seasonal table toppers strewn around. The coach looks quite festive but I miss decorating the yard, every room in the house and baking !  I used to love to bake... the gooey-er  the better... having cookie exchanges with the neighbors and making chain garland with the kids.  Sure we can still do most of these things.....just not the same.  Ahhh......loved those times. 

     I heard there was snow in WA.  (thanks for the pic's on FB ) and they closed school, Friday which meant Christmas Break has officially begun.  Being in southern CA, there is no threat of snow.  That's very nice !  We just aren't used to decorated palm trees and the such.  I asked Norm to drive us around after dark to look at lights ....... people here don't have the huge Christmas trees in their windows and few do lights. Neighborhoods are not like ours either.  They are communities inside rock wall fences and gates with security guards.  Okay ....  If it weren't for the Hallmark channel it wouldn't seem Christmasy at all.

     We are having a blast doing things we just checked on last year.  There are many small State or Natl. Parks around with some cool hikes and bike trails.  I think Norm posted the pic's of the Bobcat we came across on one of the trails.  It wasn't a very big one (we figured it was still young) but looked healthy. It was so busy stalking a mouse that it didn't mind our being there so we took a gazzilion pic's !  Funny thing, just a couple hundred feet further on that trail were 8 deer ! 

     On a recent bike ride I almost plowed into the back of Norm's bike...... he stopped suddenly to check on something he saw crawl into the "grass".  It was a tarantula about 3" across.  I don't think my feet hit the ground forever, after that !  No snake sightings for now as they are usually hibernating during the "cold" winter months and shouldn't be out til about March/April. 

    Talking with some of the locals we found out there are several places with caves that require flashlights to explore.  That's next !   It's fun to drive out on a seemingly flat road that doesn't appear to go anywhere and suddenly find huge outcroppings of rocks and rock formations. Gotta check those out !  Then, of course there are the typical tourist sightseeing tours and trips.  Our son was on a business trip last month in San Diego and said a tour of the USS Midway was a must see.  Norm says it's a WWII aircraft carrier that has been turned into a museum.  Not my usual thing... but.... I'm game ! 


I am still quilting. I have one Queen size top done that needs some embroidery...  then I'll sandwich it together and quilt it.  I'm in no hurry so I have made lots of small quilted bags, "therapy" chicken pin cushions and some cute quilted mugrugs  (small placemats).  These I am using at my craft sales.  I get a chance to talk with others in the park & make enough to replenish my fabric.  

     Well, everyone, Merry Christmas &

 
an exciting 2014 to each of you !  We so like hearing what's happening in your lives on FB.  It helps us stay in touch.  (It was fun.......about a month or two ago we met some of our retired and just "tired" Bus Driver friends for breakfast.  Since we had been on FB we just continued conversations like we had seen them the day before !) :)  Gotta love that !
Norm wants more comments and less "likes".  He's so funny ! 

Chris n Norm

    



    

No comments:

Post a Comment