Tuesday, July 26, 2011

"Do what you love...Love what you do!"

         One of the things we had to do before we started our adventure, last Spring, was to get full physicals from our family doctor.  He was thrilled with our plans but told us he didn't see any reason to live after retirement so he preferred to go quietly in a few years.   I could not believe my ears!   My reaction stunned him as I went on about how I had so much to see and do and that I would only go kicking and screaming!! He explained that all he sees are people who have nothing left...no hobbies...no interests...no purpose... and sometimes no family.   BUMMER !!

      One of the really cool things about our lifestyle now are the people we meet.   An example...an older couple came in to register.  She was thin and small, had short gray hair, was wearing a floral muu-muu and sported a cane. She had just celebrated her 85th birthday.  Hubby was taller, balding, pretty typical except he had that mischievious look in his eyes.   I watched as they entered the building and  greeted them with "Hi kids, how can I help you?"   From then on they were a handful!  They really did act like they were youngsters taking on the world !   They have so many plans to go here and do this and write that...I was exhausted !  Speaking of that, the old guy said he didn't sleep well last night kept dreaming he was a muffler !!    "A muffler?",  I asked.   "Yes," he said, "I woke up exhausted!"   This is what I deal with everyday!  WHEW!

      My point is, Fulltime RV'ers have such a different view of everything. ( My doctor needs to get out and see these folks.)   We see many people on hiking trails carrying oxygen in their backpacks.  They go slow but...they go.  

      A question we get asked all the time is "Was it hard to give up your house?"   No, we still have a house it's just on wheels.  It may only be  360 sq ft.  but, it is more efficient than a big house and much easier and faster to clean and heat/cool.  It's amazing how much 'stuff' we accumulate and don't really need.  It's equally amazing how much it free's up our time and reduces our stress.  People seem to loose weight, look happier and are more active.  

      That being said, Norm has finally been able to get out and fly-fish.  (His passion)  His attitude about everything has improved so much.   He has lost 45lbs. looks fabulous and is pretty happy most of the time.  Retirement has been a good thing!  His last trip on the Firehole River was a bit interesting, though.  He couldn't figure out why these two men on the shoreline were yelling at him.   Nothing weird was around him so he kept fishing.   Finally, he was able to see that a large bear was coming around the bend towards him !  The brush hid the bear from him but the men on shore could see!   WHOA!!  Norm waded into the middle of the river and stood there very quietly...Bear Spray at the ready!   The bear just walked by, more concerned about eating the flower bulbs than chasing a fisherman.   Close call !  ( He did get some great close-up pic's.) 


      Tomorrow is another full day of fishing for Norm.   I love it because he's gone all day so I get a chance to do what I want.   Usually entails some cleaning but I also make time to work on my card making and quilting.  Doesn't get much better than this ! :)
     

    

     

     

     

No comments:

Post a Comment